3.31.2008

Sweet Dream or Beautiful Nightmare

There's a fantastic new Beyonce song called "Beautiful Nightmare." It's definitely a world away from anything on B'Day, and could have fit comfortably on recent releases by Rihanna or Nelly Furtado. She makes it completely her own though -- giving this minimal dark pop production a very soulful makeover as only Beyonce could. I love it!

According to Beyonce:
"Yesterday, "Beautiful Nightmare," a demo I've been working on for possible inclusion on my next album, leaked on some websites. I want to thank all my fans for the positive response to the song, but I want to tell you that this is just a work in progress. It is not my time to put out new music."
And she goes on recommending new stuff from her old bandmates, which is quite admirable. What a great "demo"! I hope it stays minimal. I definitely dig the piano bits at around 1:23. It's got a great 80's vibe and offers a fairly new direction for Beyonce.

At first I thought it was a Timbaland production, but from the notes at Prefix, it's by Jim Jonsin and Rico Love. I loved B'Day and thought it was terribly underrated. I've always felt she's got plenty of tricks up her sleeves, and "Beautiful Nightmare" is definitely case in point.

No comments: